Sunday, January 25, 2009

click click AND who knew bamboo?

Today was a much more relaxed day on our trip. This morning we didn't leave the hotel until 10am! We rode the Metro line to Arlington National Cemetery. The sun was bright and the wind was low so it was a nice day to be outside. Our first stop was at the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was VERY quite there and all you could hear was the "click" of the guards shoes as he walked and did the "military" turns and weapon handling. When the actual change took place is was almost like watching a glockenspiel clock. Perfect timing, slow and deliberate but very serious. For those of you not too familiar with the Honor Guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns...they are there day and night all year-round. If it snows, they are there. If it rains, they are there. Can you imagine? And not just nonchalant, leaning on a rail. They are as straight as a tin soldier. Precise as a Swiss watch. Unflinching under any condition. That's pretty amazing.

We took time to go to the Kennedy grave sights and to the visitors center as well as some other memorial sights. The National Cemetery is a place where so many lay. You can't ever do justice with words or pictures.

Space Shuttle Columbia Memorial pictured below. Really the cemetery is very beautiful land. Hills and valleys, trees of all sorts. Even a stream or two wind their way through the property. A final note after the "click-click" of the honor guards' shoes. All week Kate has been getting the "Mindy" cheer in her head for some strange reason. Stand up, give a cheer.... I guess.

Later in the day Kate stayed at the hotel for a nap and I took off on an adventure that took me to Bethesda. I had to get a Maryland Geocache and "Tunnel Vision" was the one that attracted me. I made a quick stop in Tenleytown to try on some shoes that I have been looking for everywhere. Turns out the Hudson Trial Outfitters didn't have them anymore. I got to Bethesda and quickly got in range of the cache according to my GPS. Here is the first scene as I got within 40 feet. Bamboo! Neat!
Then my struggle at 16 feet.
Finally success! Can you see the edge of the containers' lid? (you might have to enlarge the picture by clicking on it) Jon I know at least you will. :-)

I got the cache and dashed back to the Metro and hopped abord to meet the crew for dinner at this Metro stop....do you know where this Metro stop is?

How about a clue in Neon?

Still no? Well that's not Spanish below that Chipotle sign...

You had better know now. Chinatown!

We had a great dinner(not Chinese though) Kate had a burger and I had fish and chips.
Tomorr0w is a big long day, I'd better get to bed.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I'll be curious to learn what your geocache goal was.

Mindy said...

Maybe Kate should just yell the cheer a few times to get it out of her head!

Enjoy your last day in DC and safe travels tomorrow!