
Later in the day I was part of the 750,000 (or more) people that gathered on the mall for the "We are one" concert. It was full of big names in music and entertainment. The President and Vice-President elect were the focus of this event, but it sure was fun to see celebrities on stage too.
As Kate and I joined the throngs of people walking down the mall toward The Lincoln Memorial, I couldn't help but feel a little strange. So many people! History! Stunning!
I wonder if this was the sort of feeling that people encountered when they had a chance to catch a glimpse of Jesus back in the day. NOT that I'm comparing Obama to Christ. Although I think some people have elevated Obama to a level in their minds that he can never live up to. He's about to be President of the United States, not God of the Universe. There will still be poverty, joblessness, conflict, and many awful and unfair aspects to life. I don't think 4 years or even 8 can fix everything. Actually, I know it can't. Enjoy the festivities! Witness history and be part of it. Get caught up in it and feel the emotion. Just don't forget where you're hope lies. In our everlasting God.

Above: Me and a surveillance station at the base of the Washington Monument Below: a scene of the Washington Monument...not so bad huh? No sign of a crowd here.

Above: This was our vantage point for the concert. We were about 7/10th of a mile away from the stage. Everything you see is people. For a perspective point, enlarge this picture by clicking on it. You will see what a human size is by looking at the snipers dressed in black on top of the Lincoln Memorial. (click on any picture to enlarge) Below: a view behind us from our vantage point. Those are all packed people behind us too! So maybe there were a few people around me as I pointed the camera skyward in the first monument picture. 

Above: One of the jumbo screens, and the man of the hour. Lincoln Memorial and Nations Flag also present. Below: Proof of attendance. And some fine looking people if I might add.


Above: What looks like a Marathon. Everything you see all the way down this street is people leaving the event. Remember today only had about a quarter of the people expected on Tuesday. WOW! Below: A local connection and her introduction at her apartment. More on that in text below.
The class had a great opportunity to visit with 4 local residents that are only slightly older than they are. Their jobs include working in a library, think tank, interest group, and member congress' office. We met in a nice cozy apartment and had pizza while getting an awesome view into the world of working and living in D.C. Not being in a formal office setting was good to set the mood and show that "normal" people can make it in D.C. I have to admit I feel somewhat unaccomplished in my Midwest life. I think the "kids" really enjoyed the event, but I'm not sure they realize how unique and great it was. How many formal class trips get to do such a "real world" event? I didn't understand everything that was discussed tonight and I have no strong desire to live in D.C. ,but I have to say our hosts made it sound doable, if not easy to get involved and have a life here. Kate may have updates on this as I may have botched some of the information on the status of employment of our four hosts, as well as other goodies I may have omitted.A Note From Kate:
Like Brian said, it really was an amazing day. I've never been in a crowd like that and every now and then, this rush of emotion would come over me as I thought about the significance of it all. The setting was absolutely perfect. The concert was held in the shadow of the Lincoln Memorial. A memorial celebrating the President who ended slavery and reunited the country torn by civil conflict. The memorial was also the site of the historic 1963 March on Washington, where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech. To see hundreds of thousands of people gathered to celebrate the election of our first African American president, at this particular site was incredible and a little overwhelming.
It also reflected what I think is a sincere attempt by Obama to begin to overcome some of the deep divisions within our society today. During election seasons, journalists often talk about "red" and "blue" states. Campaigns often focus on wedge issues like abortion and same-sex marriage. Politicians often search for ways to play on the fears and insecurities of citizens by emphasizing things like terrorism and illegal immigration. The result is what looks to be a country divided. But, when you look at the public opinion polls more closely, it is actually much more complex and nuanced. Most people are in the middle and want common-sense answers to problems that affect us all. The "We Are One" title of today's event and the setting in front of the memorial to the President who reunited a divided country are great reminders that we can work to overcome some of these differences that have been magnified through the campaign to find common ground. Not all the problems will go away, and people will certainly continue to hold conflicting opinions on important issues, but maybe we can find common ground from which to work.
Finally, I need to echo Brian's thoughts about our evening with Andrea Johnson and friends. It was such a great opportunity to talk with real people about life in DC in an informal setting. The students were beat after an intense day of standing (some of them staked out spots for the 2:30 concert at 8am!), but they still really enjoyed the opportunity to talk with them. They learned about the importance of doing internships and about practical things like how to find a place to live in DC. They also got to see what's possible just a few short years out of college. I always enjoy hearing people's stories, so that part was very fun for me too.
2 comments:
You guys were dressed for Minnesota weather!! Hope it's warmer on Tuesday.
Thank you sooo much for taking the time to keep us updated. I know you could be doing other things..I am loving your experiences! Judy-mom
Post a Comment