Friday, July 6, 2012

Fourth Recap

It was a HOT 4th of July here in St. Peter!  Not sure what we hit, but it was definitely in the 90s.  Brian, unfortunately, had to work (boo!!!!), but Maya and I made the most of the day in spite of the heat.  We started out bright and early with the St. Peter Freedom Fun Run.  I have run this race a few times before and last summer (when I was too pregnant to run it, but saw the runners as I was on a morning walk) I set it as a goal to be back in shape to run the 8K race in under 50 minutes.  However, I wasn't planning on having Maya with or having 82 degree temperatures! Thankfully, I was able to borrow a running stroller from our good friends, the Lundquists!

When I checked in at the race, the organizers were giving everyone signed up for the 8K the opportunity to switch to the 5K because of the heat and humidity.  I was definitely tempted, but I knew that I could run the 5K with Maya no problem since I do it fairly regularly and I wanted a real challenge.  So, I stuck with the longer race and it turned out to be pretty good.  I actually felt strong for the whole race despite the heat.  I walked through the three water stops to make sure that I drank enough water, but other than that, I ran the whole way.  And I finished in 54:30...Maya beat me by a half second.  Not bad, considering the conditions!

Maya must have enjoyed being in a race because she stayed awake the whole time.  Usually she falls asleep a few minutes into my runs, but there was just too much to look at.

We came home and showered and then headed back down to watch the parade.  Luckily, a friend from my Bible study group on campus had an extra spot for us in the shade!  Maya loved the parade and wasn't scared at all by any of the loud sirens or squirt guns.  Parades really play to her strengths: clapping and waving.


We got a lot of parade swag because Maya was so cute!  Again, it was just too interesting for her to sleep through, and she stayed awake through the entire hour and a half parade.  When we got home at 12:30, she finally zonked out for the first time all day.

Poor Brian got home a little after 4 after being in the hot lumber yard all day.  Thank goodness for air conditioning!

No comments: