Thursday, August 4, 2011

Baby stuff

Our 34 week appointment went well yesterday. Doctor says baby is cooking up nicely...heartbeat is strong and seems to be head down. I'm healthy, but definitely more tired than usual and feeling BIG. Baby K is very active...in fact, she is kicking me as I write. It's hard to complain, though, when the whole pregnancy has been relatively uneventful. I was even able to continue to run until last week. I would keep running, but it's just too hard on my bladder these days :)

My colleagues in the department threw us a baby shower on Monday. Baby K got a bunch of new books, some toys, and a few necessities...like a diaper changing wallet and a thermometer.

We also had our second childbirth class on Monday. The topic this week was pain management. They went over all the options. I'm torn. I'm not excited about being in pain for an extended period of time, but I'm also not thrilled about the idea of being confined to bed for hours (which is what happens with an epidural). I guess I'll just continue to talk to others to hear what they did and then decide when we get to the hospital. I did go through a period a few weeks ago where I was a little freaked out by labor, but then one of the doulas at our class said something in passing that put things in better perspective for me. I don't even know what she was talking about but she ended by saying, "isn't it amazing how God created our bodies to do this?" It isn't a Christian-based class, so she probably wasn't supposed to say that, but it really struck a chord with me. For some reason, it didn't hit me until right then that my body was designed by God to be able to grow and deliver a baby. All of the little pieces of that process are so amazingly detailed! I'm still not excited about pain, but I'm not worried like I was before. Next Monday we get to take a tour of the hospital. I like field trips!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Awesome! Can't wait to meet baby K. Just catching up on your blog. :) My advice w/ childbirth - stay flexible! If you go in with an open mind to either no meds or an epidural, it works no matter what. And it is amazing what you body is designed to do.

Mindy said...

Epidurals are awesome and being confined to a bed for hours is not such a bad thing!
But, comfort measures and no drugs would be a great thing, too! You'll figure out what's right for you, and likely you won't know until you're in labor. Just keep an open mind.


We've still got the bouncy chair and the angel monitor, if you want it. Just remind us next weekend.

Anonymous said...

You know, going into labor is like going on a thrill ride you've never been on. It looks scary from the ground and you can think about all the possibilities of what will happen - but when it comes down to it, you just get on and ride it and experience it a moment at a time. There is no predicting what it will feel like, what you will want or how you will handle things. You just do. Kind of like raising that baby. You just do.
I can't wait to meet her. And see you. And see you with her.