Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm cold?


This morning I am chilly sitting at the table updating the blog. Granted I am sitting in the shade outside in the breeze at 8 in the morning. And wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

We were having too much fun and staying busy at the Waikaloa Hilton to update our blog. Now we are at a hostel. We do have internet access, but limited. Our rooms here are basic, just for sleeping. The atmosphere is neat though. Different people are staying here and it sort of makes it feel like were are not in a U.S. state.

The weather has been great. We have seen some misty rain. The real rain seems to only come at night when we are back to the hostel. Yesterday the weather was predicted to rain in the afternoon. It held back though and allowed us to hike out to the Kalapana viewing area of the flowing lava. We were within 300 feet of flowing lava, but there was a mound of cooling lava in the way. We could see flowing lava further up the mountain. Even with the camera maxed out on zoom the lava mostly looked like scattered campfire embers. Last May, Kate and I did the same hike and could hike about a half mile farther down the road. A few homes were lost in the last big flow and there is new rock about 20 feet deep on the road where we walked last time.

Our class is doing well for the most part and has adjusted well from the shock of moving from nearly the best resort on the island to a hostel that is one notch above camping.

Kate is back from getting bentos for our lunch today so I suppose I'd better get ready to go.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Glad you guys are having fun. I sure feel badly that you are feeling chilly. It's 27 degrees with blowing snow here and a "snow day" for those who were supposed to have school on MLK day.

Heather D said...

Thanks for updating the blog! Can't wait to see your photos when you get back! We miss you!

Anonymous said...

If you think it's cold now, just wait until you're back in God's country looking at all the snow banks. Looking forward to seeing you guys on the North Shore vacation. Jill

Laurie said...

You've probably told us what bentos are (is?). But remind me. Sounds like a mint.

Anonymous said...

Bentos are the local box lunch...a bed of rice and an assortment of meats. We had teriyaki beef, fried shrimp, Portuguese sausage, Korean fried chicken wings, and Spam in ours.