Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Sauna is Gone

At work there is an area of the lumber yard where we keep large quantities of over-stock cedar wood chips for mulch in your garden or what have you.
These pallets are 6 or 7 feet tall and there were at one time as many as 25.
On hot days the moisture in the bags would condense on the edges and almost steam like, pour scent from the bag. Who doesn't like the smell of cedar? It is just lovely.
Now imagine for a moment that I would use a forklift to manipulate these tall pallets into a "fort". Blamo! You have it. A sauna. Just go inside the fort and the hot pavement below helps create the heat needed. You have steamy moisture and the delicious smell of cedar.
The added plus of this "lumber yard sauna"? Sunshine! How many saunas can you get a tan in?
But all good things must come to an end. The garden center season is over. Mulch is no longer a hot ticket item. Now it's back to school and Halloween. The overstock is down to very little and today's 68 degree weather is not nearly enough to reach sauna conditions. I'll have to say good-bye to my little luxury for this season.
It might be better that way. I'm sure a sauna break is not in the employee handbook.

Thanks for indulging in my little bored-at-work imagination blog.
Maybe next time I'll have to mock up some pictures too to keep in interesting.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Please do not say "back to school" unless it is early September and someone is dragging me back to work.

Laurie said...

I love behind-the-scenes Menards stories!