Thursday, March 1, 2012

Next year

Well, after a few months of being in limbo, the results are in...we'll be on campus again next year!  I was offered the position of Faculty in Residence for the First Year Experience yesterday.  I am excited about the new job and we are all excited about getting to live on campus for another year.  In the new position, I'll be coordinating programs for First Year students (formerly known as Freshmen) to help them transition to life in college.  It will be less dorm-mom-pancake-breakfast work and more administrative coordination.  I'll be working to bring services like tutoring and advising help into the First Year residence halls and designing programs to get First Year students better connected on campus.  I'm sure there will still be a few meals in our apartment, but it won't look the same as it has for the past seven years. 

For one thing, we won't be in the same apartment.  The new position requires us to move to Sohre Hall, one of the First Year buildings.  It is the apartment that our good friends, the Dales, live in now.  They will be moving to another building on campus and Heather will be the Administrator in Residence for the Sophomore Year Experience.  We are pretty excited about both being on campus next year because both Brian and Jordan will be stay-at-home dads.  Their daughter, Skyla, is five months older than Maya.  Those four are going to have some fun next year! 

Anyway, the apartment is MUCH larger than the one we're currently in.  No more sleeping in the living room for Maya!  I am not looking forward to moving all our junk this summer, but it will be very nice to have a bit more room to spread out. 

For now, the news is still on the down low.  I figured none of you reading this blog would be having conversations with people on campus besides us, though :)

5 comments:

Mindy said...

that's great! congrats!

Laurie said...

Congratulations on your new position, Kate! I know it wasn't just handed to you. You earned it!

I think if I was you or Heather I might be a little nervous about those stay at home dads. Those four could be Trouble!

Mama K said...

I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! That's great news :)

Love,
A

Amy and Jason said...

Yay!! Great news!!!