Thursday, January 19, 2012

Change is in the wind

We're quickly outgrowing our Rundstrom apartment.  Although babies are small, they come with so much gear!  Since getting pregnant, we've known that this would probably be our last year in Rundstrom.  I've lived here for six and a half years, which is the longest I've ever lived in one place.  It will be very hard to move out because, despite all the quirks and inconveniences, I love this apartment.  I remember the first day I saw it with Heidi, who had driven cross country with me to help me move.  I remember picking out furniture with her and trying to imagine how I would fill such a big empty space. 

    
Here I am on my very first day in Rundstrom...all I had for furniture was these two chairs from the college and a dresser in the bedroom   
Here is our loveseat when it was still in the store!  Heidi took pictures so we could remember what things looked like as we shopped around in Mankato.

It didn't take long to make it feel homey.  The college students loved coming down here to hang out.  And then a few years later, Brian moved in. It sure was fun to try to fit two households of things in this little space!  We did it with the help of a storage unit :)

Rundstrom has been good to us, but it's time to move on!  Our hope was to move into one of the other dorms on campus and continue being Head Residents.  We both love living on campus and I really enjoy being a HR.  We knew there was at least one HR who was planning on leaving, so there would be the possibility of shifting around.  But about a month ago we learned that there were much bigger changes in store.  The Residential Life office has decided to end the HR program altogether.  Instead, they are creating a new Faculty/Staff in Residence program and hiring four people who will continue to live on campus but do a job that is different than the old HR position.  They haven't provided us with the position description yet, so I can't say whether it's something I am going to apply for or not.  We're sort of in a wait and see period.  We would love to stay on campus another year (or two!) and we have a perfect setup with our renter at the cabin who is interested in renting next school year too.  But, the job would have to be something I was interested in doing and something I think I could do well.  Oh, and I would have to get hired, too :)   All 8 of the other HRs might also want to apply and the position will be open to the rest of campus as well, so the competition could be tough.  So that's where we are now...not really anywhere but with a big change heading in our direction.  We'll definitely keep you posted!

Found this one from 2009...a HR potluck with the Hagens, Goldies, Dales, and Meyers.  Even with all those people, the apartment looks spacious in comparison to what it looks like today! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's sad news. I'm glad it lasted 7 years for you. How do the students feel about it??? (katesma)