Most of you know that feeding has been a major challenge for us. There are some days when things go well, but most of the time, it is a real struggle. This morning, for example, I spent an hour trying to get her to latch on and drink without success. By the time I pumped, fed her a bottle, and cleaned up, it had been two hours of work for me. The thought of starting the process all over again in an hour is a bit overwhelming. (no point in going back to bed...might as well blog!) Last night it took 54 tries to get her latched on (yes, I'm counting)...and we still ended up having to supplement with a bottle. There are times when she does eat really well, though, and so I'm not at a point where I'm willing to give up yet. There have been plenty of melt downs so far. More from me than from her. Isn't sucking supposed to be a reflex? Why is it so hard for her? And why does she have no problem sucking when it's from a bottle? Grrr! I know it's not personal, but with all the hormones flowing through me, it sure does feel that way sometimes.
Aside from that, things are going fairly well. Brian and I are both exhausted (made worse because feeding has become a two person job so no one gets to sleep more than 1 1/2-2 hours at a time). I feel like we are fairly confined to home because there are such short periods between feedings. But, on a positive note, Maya is a very good baby. She rarely cries (unless I am trying to feed her), and when she does cry, Brian is usually able to get her calmed down fairly quickly. She also loves to cuddle. She spends many hours sleeping on or next to Brian. Here are a few photos from the past week...
Our burrito baby...

Passed out after a good feeding...


A visit from great grandpa Bob and grandma Jayne...
4 comments:
Your burrito baby is so cute I could just eat her up! I wish you weren't having so many struggles with HER eating though.
Hang in there, Kate! I know all-too-well how mom can take it personally. We'd love to give you an 1 1/2 hour date sometime (or longer)...for your sanity!
I'm glad you posted the pictures. You know we all love that peanut like crazy-the kids will be thrilled to see new pictures!
Feeding can be so frustrating!! Take it from someone who knows...you feel like you won't make it, but you will. I know that is not in the least bit comforting (because people said it to me too and in my hormonal rage I wanted to punch them in the nose), but it's true. I had to use a nipple shield the entire time I nursed Payton. People said, "Don't use it. He'll get so used to it he won't be able to nurse without it." And that was true. But at least he was nursing and growing and finally not taking hours to feed. So I was ok with his addiction :-) All that to say, you'll find a solution that works for the three of you and you will keep your sanity (even though it doesn't feel like it sometimes). And the hormones will balance out eventually so you feel normal again. :-) I can't wait to see you!
And if you want to punch me in the nose for saying it's going to be ok, you totally can. That's what friends are for. :-)
Post a Comment