Yesterday was First Year move in day at Gustavus. You know, my favorite day of the year. The one I missed last year because of a certain early arrival.
Well, we didn't miss a thing this year. I took Maya out in the backpack to welcome some of the new students and to see the Gustie Greeters (the students who cheer for them and pull them out of their cars as they drive up). My new role as Faculty in Residence for the First Year Experience meant that I was supposed to be visible yesterday. I managed to walk through every floor and section and talk to all but one of the First Year CFs (our version of RAs).
In the evening, I spoke at a dinner for parents and families about the things they can do to help their child succeed academically (encourage them to study and don't call us when their kid gets a bad grade! Okay, there was a little more to that, but you get the idea). Some students did a little skit during the dinner about the transition to college from both the student and parent perspective. I ended up tearing up a bit when I realized that a year ago on that day Maya was born and that in seventeen years, we'd probably be taking her to college too. Silly hormones!
After that, I got a chance to speak to all of the First Year students (in two big groups) about the programs I'm planning for them to get connected on campus. By the time I got home, Maya was already in bed and Brian had some Modern Family episodes cued up on the computer and ready to watch on the big screen. Nice!
Things are definitely picking up around here, though, and reality is starting to sink in that I am going back to work for real. Ready or not, classes start on Tuesday!
ネキシウムの効果時間 胃ポリープとの関係は
6 years ago
1 comment:
Sounds like an extra special year for you Kate! Even if the students don't say thank you, they will appreciate your work. Jill
Post a Comment