On Saturday night I went to Plainview to hang out with friends and play music. There is a group of us playing music for Emily's wedding in January. It was great, but getting home after midnight was a little rough when the "hunting" alarm went off at 5:30.
Sunday afternoon dad showed me which trees I could pick from on the farm. We ended up taking down a 20 foot tree and kept the top. Don't worry, the tree was going to be harvested anyway.
Here's what I look like setting it up.

Kate stayed home and got grading and revisions done on her article. I spent the rest of the early week rushing around work preparing for the big after Thanksgiving Day sale. There was so much merchandise to deal with! Kate brought me Chinese food on Wednesday. Mmmm. That was a nice treat.
On Thanksgiving Kate and I went geocaching...

Put up the artificial tree at the cabin...

and had some visitors at the cabin (Jon and Mindy).
Friday morning I was at Menards by 4:30am for the sale. I worked crowd control and security until 8. Once things had calmed down, I spent the rest of the day in the Christmas tree lot. Ohh that smelled so good. Kate headed out at 5:30am for a deal at Lowe's. She drove up 15 minutes before the doors opened and parked 8 stalls from the front door. She got in line with 20 or 30 people and had the store to herself. Meanwhile, at the same time at Menards, we had over 300 people in line and once the doors opened guests were waiting an hour in line to checkout. By 6:30 Kate was at Menards and she dove into the madness to get a few deals. The difference was night and day. I guess Mankato is a Menards town. Sorry Lowe's and Home Depot. Friday night Kate and I both headed to Pine Island for the weekend at Willow Hill.
We had pizza when we got there and talked about all kinds of stuff.
Saturday was the designated Thanksgiving day for the K-family. Natalie showed me where she was going to put the food.
We did have good food, but Natalie mostly stuck to Jell-o and pineapple.One of my favorites...
We had no luck hunting on Saturday and all day Sunday we didn't see anything.Sunday night with literally 2 minutes left in the season a small buck walked into my area. I could see that he had antlers, but it was too dark to tell much more than that. I have not shot in 2 years and was not confident in my ability. I took two shots both of which were center mass and such that no good meat was ruined.
We had a bit of trouble with the truck getting stuck on the way out of the woods, but we made it back home safe.

Kate and I are home again in Saint Peter. The drive home was nice. Lots of Christmas lights illuminating our way home. Kate is back in the office this morning. I have the day off, so here I blog. Later today we are having an 8x10 shed delivered to the cabin. I'll help out with that and also do some other odds and ends today.
We hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!
5 comments:
hey-congrats on the deer!!
fantastic end of season deer story!
And a great pic of N for our computer...it now replaces your easter pic of her!
Why is Bob Villa in so many of your pictures?
You totally look like the reformed Abominable Snow Man from Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer in the picture of the "cabin tree"
Does the hair stay or go after the hunting season? Wish we would have crossed paths on the weekend.
Post a Comment